I think you can probably divide people into those who love baths and those who prefer showers. I know which camp I’m in. I adore a bath in the evening. It’s where I relax, unwind and prepare for sleep. It’s where I take some time to drench my skin with natural oils and calm my mind with healing essential oils . It’s where I take stock and get things in perspective. I think that’s why I love baths so much. When days are so busy and there are so many demands on our time, they’re a gorgeous way to step out of the craziness and steep yourself in the moment. As Sylvia Plath wrote ‘I am sure there are things that can’t be cured by a good bath, but I can’t think of one.’
Baths, it turns out, are actually good for your wellbeing. Recent studies have shown that taking a warm bath before bed can aid sleep. There’s also a suggestion that they can boost serotonin production. Serotonin is the naturally occurring chemical which makes us all feel better. Adding essential oils, like lavender, have also been shown to aid relaxation and unwinding. A bath is also a phone-free zone – for obvious reasons – which is another good reason for why it de-clutters the mind.
[inline_product_image layout=”right” product=”2514″ image=”https://www.votary.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/image1-7.jpeg”]
Here are my top tips for a bath which will prepare you for peaceful sleep.
- Light one of our chic soy wax Lavender and Chamomile candles. Let it fill your bathroom with the gorgeous soporific scent of an English country garden at dusk.
- Begin running the water. The trick – like Goldilock’s porridge – is that it mustn’t be too hot or too cold. I like mine just above body temperature. Somewhere between 40 and 45 degrees is perfect for me.
- Add two or three pumps of our Antidote Bath and Body Oil into the running water.
- Place a 100% cotton fluffy towel close enough to the bath to be able to reach when you are ready to get out. I love to swaddle myself in softness while my skin is still warm and glowing. Add a flannel too, all set for your cleansing routine.
- Smother your face in your preferred Votary Cleansing Oil. Allow it soak in while you bath for an extra-deep cleanse.
- Get into the water. Give it a swoosh so that your limbs are soothed and softened by the Antidote oil. Sometimes I start by reading to take my mind somewhere else. Then, I find it easier to close my eyes, become more mindful, and focus on some really long, slow and deep breaths.
- Gently massage your face, along the jawline, around the temples, and across your forehead. Feel tensions dissolve and stress melt away.
- Take the flannel, soak it in fresh hand hot water, and hold it to your face. Allow the steam to open up your pores and the flannel to then wipe away all traces of the day. Finish with a splash of cool water to close them again.
- Finally, when you get out of the bath, check in with your limbs and see if anywhere feels dry or rough. Add some Antidote neat, and gently massage it in. My elbows, knees and heel are always hungry for more. The fragrance and the gleaming softness make me feel perfectly primed for bed.
Just writing this is making me long for a bath. Happy soaking…
Love, Arabella x